User Name
Password

Old 09-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Contributor Pirate

Dragoon is a jewel in the roughDragoon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Dragoon
Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11161493

I initially read a different article that had comments, and there was some pretty severe backlash from, primarily, Christians.

Pretty cool stuff.

Edit: Found the original article I mentioned, http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902...wpphu-container - comments are gold.

Last edited by Dragoon : 09-02-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator
I am Bid!  
Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.
As usual with Stephen Hawking, he's not specifically saying God does not exist, he's just stating that he's not necessary for the creation of the universe.

To me, both science and physics come down to the same problem, it all has to hinge on something being there forever, be it god, or whatever came before our universe, and human beings just have a massive problem bending their minds round the concept of time being forever, and not having a beginning or an end.
"If he is not smart enough to invent something to improve his own quality of life how is he smart enough to tell us all there is no GOD"

Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Contributor Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddykins
As usual with Stephen Hawking, he's not specifically saying God does not exist, he's just stating that he's not necessary for the creation of the universe.

To me, both science and physics come down to the same problem, it all has to hinge on something being there forever, be it god, or whatever came before our universe, and human beings just have a massive problem bending their minds round the concept of time being forever, and not having a beginning or an end.

The fact that it's such a difficult concept to grasp makes it all the more fascinating to me.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Biceps made out of Steel Cobras

.. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to .. Send a message via MSN to ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon
The fact that it's such a difficult concept to grasp makes it all the more fascinating to me.

It would be nice to know how it all started, but would it make a difference? Religious people who honestly believe in their creation myths look to their beginnings for purpose in their lives, which creates a false sense of purpose... So they end up going about their lives living for their religion rather than spending their lives trying to better humanity. "Knowing" how you were created causes these people to live selfishly, living out their purpose that is associated with their religion... As a species we need to realize that our purpose is to better our species and set aside just about everything else, an individual may be immortalized for his/her life accomplishments, but being immortalized only goes so far. If the general population could set aside their differences and focus on a common objective, no matter what the objective was, it would be possible for us to accomplish. There is always resistance, I know its a very idealistic idea, you can call me a dreamer.... but I'm not the only one.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Administrator
I am Bid!  
Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.
This story is where I got the newest addition to my sig. Fantastic quote I thought. From another forum where the religious idiots and the none religious were debating the story.
"If he is not smart enough to invent something to improve his own quality of life how is he smart enough to tell us all there is no GOD"

Old 11-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Contributor Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddykins
This story is where I got the newest addition to my sig. Fantastic quote I thought. From another forum where the religious idiots and the none religious were debating the story.

That's some flawless logic right there. He's got me convinced.