PDA

View Full Version : Going into the USMC

Rick
08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
I've decided to enlist in the US Marines Corps. Took the asvab, got my physical, all that shit..

Going in tomorrow to get sworn in and sign my contract. I'll be leaving for boot camp around December, I'll find out the exact date tomorrow.

What's new in everyone else's lives? Anything big?

Pandu
08-24-2009, 02:38 PM
nothing, why you joining the usmc?

Rick
08-24-2009, 04:45 PM
nothing, why you joining the usmc?
Because it is a job I would enjoy, and something I want.

Elite
08-24-2009, 06:19 PM
will be heading off to med school next yr

CO3
08-24-2009, 07:16 PM
will be heading off to med school next yr

This scares me.

Pandu
08-24-2009, 07:58 PM

so just cause its something you want to do? No other reason, like you want them to pay for your college, stuff like that?

Nothing wrong with joining the USMC I suppose, just kinda figured most people only do it for a particular reason, like payment of education, or cause they are going no where else with their life, or something like that. (Probably a misconception, but meh the few people that I know that have actually joined airforce, navy, usmc, and army, all had their own reasons, but mostly it was because joining the army would benefit them in someway in their near future)

Elite
08-25-2009, 12:08 AM
This scares me.

it beats trying to a land a book deal for a financially secured career

CO3
08-25-2009, 07:21 AM
it beats trying to a land a book deal for a financially secured career

That's nowhere near the top of my list for careers.

Elite
08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
That's nowhere near the top of my list for careers.

lets see the list champ

CO3
08-25-2009, 05:06 PM
lets see the list champ

At the moment I'm taking a break from college to pursue a music career. I've given it a time frame of 2 years to work before I no longer consider it. This is because I'm not in a hurry to rush through school and get a job. That's boring and monotonous.

Once I'm done with Computer Science I'm getting relevant certifications at the time of my graduation and getting a job in IT. Where I go from there I'll base on what I want at the time.

I'm writing in my spare time for my own benefit. If something comes from it, that's great. If not it wont matter to me.

Regardless of whatever is on the list I know I'm going to have fun and enjoy myself. That fact alone is enough to suffice, even if I wanted to write for a living. There's nothing wrong with that.

Especially because I can drop 250k words out of my ass about anything in ten minutes or less. Eventually one would hit. I believe that Twilight proves you don't have to be good to be successful.

08-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Good luck CO3, I have a friend who took a break last year, hes taking a break this year too, and hes talking about taking a break next year again. Not that he has no ambition, or wants to enjoy his time sitting in front of a computer way too often or working a dead end job, hes just lazy. I figure, the faster I finish my school, the sooner I'll be able to sit around and enjoy a not so monotonous life. Good luck Rick, be careful and wear a tin foil helmet to avoid mind control.

CO3
08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Good luck CO3, I have a friend who took a break last year, hes taking a break this year too, and hes talking about taking a break next year again. Not that he has no ambition, or wants to enjoy his time sitting in front of a computer way too often or working a dead end job, hes just lazy. I figure, the faster I finish my school, the sooner I'll be able to sit around and enjoy a not so monotonous life. Good luck Rick, be careful and wear a tin foil helmet to avoid mind control.

Half the reason I'm taking this break is to also contemplate and explore other career possibilities. I don't like making long term plans because I end up changing what I like and don't like over medium to long periods of time.

Not so long ago I wanted to go to school and be an artist. I was sure I'd never change my mind and just knew that it was all I wanted to do.

Now I don't even think about it anymore. If I still want to get into IT by the time my music shit is up, then I'll go right back to it. If I'm not interested enough to educate myself in it, odds are it's not the right choice.

Who knows? Maybe my band will achieve some form of success and I can do what I love for a job. It sounds like a cliche but it's right. You can't give up because it takes too long, and I don't think I ever will. I'm not going to sit around jobless waiting for someone from a record label to call me, either.

Rick
08-25-2009, 09:20 PM
so just cause its something you want to do? No other reason, like you want them to pay for your college, stuff like that?

Nothing wrong with joining the USMC I suppose, just kinda figured most people only do it for a particular reason, like payment of education, or cause they are going no where else with their life, or something like that. (Probably a misconception, but meh the few people that I know that have actually joined airforce, navy, usmc, and army, all had their own reasons, but mostly it was because joining the army would benefit them in someway in their near future)
Well, I have lost my job, I do have no direction in life (well, had I should say), and I ran out of money. It also was a great way for me to clean up off drugs, I stopped dealing completely and haven't done any drugs in a couple months now.

Those are all secondary reasons however; the main reason is that it just is a career I've always wanted.. I just was too scared to go before.

EM2915
08-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Well, I have lost my job, I do have no direction in life (well, had I should say), and I ran out of money. It also was a great way for me to clean up off drugs, I stopped dealing completely and haven't done any drugs in a couple months now.

Those are all secondary reasons however; the main reason is that it just is a career I've always wanted.. I just was too scared to go before.

Sorry to hear about recent events, it's good that your going to be doing something that you think you would enjoy, good to hear your clean as well. Good luck best of wishes to your future.

Liam
08-25-2009, 10:53 PM
I dunno CO3, I don't think today's economical climate is the best time frame to be taking a few years off school to pursue a pipe dream. Maybe you'll give up after two years and do your IT thing but good luck getting a job while unemployment is still rising.

CO3
08-26-2009, 07:41 AM
I dunno CO3, I don't think today's economical climate is the best time frame to be taking a few years off school to pursue a pipe dream. Maybe you'll give up after two years and do your IT thing but good luck getting a job while unemployment is still rising.

Might want to be wishing me luck to get a job right now. Half the town is laid off and nobody is hiring. I couldn't afford school even if I wanted to go right now.

Besides, the economy is supposed to pull itself together after a while. In 2 years things should be better and not worse.

rhinoceros
08-26-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm at Case Western Reserve University right now planning a major in Biochemistry without pre-med. The marines are fucking sweet and I have a few friends there who love it. If it's what you want to do, power to you, Rick!

Elite
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm at Case Western Reserve University right now planning a major in Biochemistry without pre-med. The marines are fucking sweet and I have a few friends there who love it. If it's what you want to do, power to you, Rick!

I am finishing up my Biochemistry major at University of Toronto, its a tough one and your gpa will hurt once you finish :(

I know a friend who started the M.D program at Case Western last yr, not entirely sure how the pre-med works in USA but I'd do it if I were you just to keep more options open for the future.

breakfast
08-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Good luck.

I'm starting my first year of Engineering tomorrow.

Elite
08-30-2009, 11:31 PM
will be starting final yr of HBSc. in 10 days, 2 more semesters then med school :)

Biddykins
09-01-2009, 11:48 AM
At the moment I'm taking a break from college to pursue a music career. I've given it a time frame of 2 years to work before I no longer consider it. This is because I'm not in a hurry to rush through school and get a job. That's boring and monotonous.

Once I'm done with Computer Science I'm getting relevant certifications at the time of my graduation and getting a job in IT. Where I go from there I'll base on what I want at the time.

I'm writing in my spare time for my own benefit. If something comes from it, that's great. If not it wont matter to me.

Regardless of whatever is on the list I know I'm going to have fun and enjoy myself. That fact alone is enough to suffice, even if I wanted to write for a living. There's nothing wrong with that.

Especially because I can drop 250k words out of my ass about anything in ten minutes or less. Eventually one would hit. I believe that Twilight proves you don't have to be good to be successful.
The first sentence made it sound epic fail, but the general place seems cool. I hate the whole education system, and that you need a piece of paper to show you can do something, ugh.

CO3
09-01-2009, 07:02 PM
The first sentence made it sound epic fail, but the general place seems cool. I hate the whole education system, and that you need a piece of paper to show you can do something, ugh.

You and I both. I can understand it to a certain extent, but it still pisses me off to a certain extent. We all have potentially long lives ahead of us and I don't think I want to be out of college and in a job by 25 rushing to get to the top of a hierarchy that means nothing in the grander aspects of life.

It's perfect for some people, but not for me. If I don't start that whole process until I'm 30, that's all fine with me. I think at 30 I want to be where I'll be spending the largest portion of my life. When I go back to school I'm going to probably not take any time off and go through it all in about 3-5 years anyhow.

In this day and age I think it's a lot more acceptable and makes a lot more sense.

Kamil
09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Seems like a sweet job Rick, work hard and I hope you succeed in it.

As for myself, class starts tomorrow! Yikes!
I'm heading into 3rd year university, studying philosophy and economics. It's likely (crossed fingers) that i'll be the president of the undergraduate philosophy students society this year. I also have to work my ass off (again) this year to get a good GPA. I'll be writing the LSAT the upcoming summer and I hope to get into a good canadian law school (crossed fingers).

Hydrogen
09-25-2009, 12:25 PM
i started university a couple weeks ago, going into applied computer science at the university of winnipeg

Xoenix
09-26-2009, 08:55 AM

You're lucky you got out of the game soon enough
I'd give anything to have done that now...
Good luck in the marines :)

Rick
09-26-2009, 05:05 PM
You're lucky you got out of the game soon enough
I'd give anything to have done that now...
Good luck in the marines :)
Yeah, 6 years was long enough for me. I had my share of scares with the cops, I'd been jacked, too much shit and I honestly was just so tired of it.

Kamil
09-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Crime doesn't pay.
Most time you can make more money with a steady legit job than with black market stuff.

CO3
09-27-2009, 05:13 AM
See? What the hell did I say?

What I want in life is completely different now. The very fact of me trying to form a timeline made me rethink the whole thing.

I've chosen another career and I will tell you at a later time. No it's not a male prostitute... my man tits don't mull over well.

Rick
09-27-2009, 05:15 AM
Crime doesn't pay.
Most time you can make more money with a steady legit job than with black market stuff.
Oh it paid, and pays. I was making an average of 3k a week in cash, the most I ever got was 2 grand in one night. The only problem is when you do shit like that, you tend to have a different mindset (make money spend money mindset), and you blow it all on useless shit like clothes and nice shit for your girlfriend, or expensive dinners, or 5 star hotels.

Eniisa
09-27-2009, 09:40 AM
I remember you telling me about this in 2006 & about how you want to be a sniper. I'm glad you're pursuing your dream (as cheesy as that sounds)

On a side note, I wonder how Loch Down is doing, haha.

Kamil
09-28-2009, 02:49 PM
I remember you telling me about this in 2006 & about how you want to be a sniper. I'm glad you're pursuing your dream (as cheesy as that sounds)

On a side note, I wonder how Loch Down is doing, haha.

Brokeback Mountain 2: Urban Escapades

Bonzi
12-10-2009, 03:50 PM
As long as we're all updating each other on our lives. I'm a full-time graphic designer now and I train in Mixed Martial Arts. Going to start competing in a few months time.

:mushroom:

Eniisa
12-11-2009, 06:59 AM
As long as we're all updating each other on our lives. I'm a full-time graphic designer now and I train in Mixed Martial Arts. Going to start competing in a few months time.

:mushroom:
We should update each other on the ugly mug thread too.