PDA

View Full Version : Nexodyne Pub Quiz!

Biddykins
11-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Let's have some quiz related fun. No prizes for winning, so hopefully no incentives for people to cheat...We'll have 10 points a round, with a 3 point bonus available for the bonus question, which will relate to the other questions (one of them, maybe more) in some way.

Round 1: Music (10 points available):
1) Who directed the music video for Thriller by Michael Jackson? (1 point)
2) Which band recorded the song 'Eye of the Tiger'? (1 point)
3) What's the longest time a song has been UK number one? (in weeks, 3 weeks either side will still get you the point) (1 point)
4) Who wrote 'The Four Seasons'? (1 point) Vivaldi (Answered by Jakub)
5) What was the title of The Beatles first christmas number one UK hit? (1 point)
6) Which band did Brian Connolly front? (1 point)
7) The album 'Folie A Deux' was by which band? (1 point) Fall Out Boy (Answered by Jakub)
8) Who originally wrote the pop song 'Bleeding Love' released by Leona Lewis? (1 point)
9) Name three of Bob Geldof's daughters? (1 point)
10) How many symphonies did Beethoven write? (1 point)

Bonus Question: Name the Adam Sandler film which features an instrumental version of Tom Sawyer? (3 points)

Round 2 will be geography!
Remember, there's no prize, so why cheat? This is just meant to be for fun!

Current Standings
Jakub - 2 Points

Jakub
11-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Let's have some quiz related fun. No prizes for winning, so hopefully no incentives for people to cheat...We'll have 10 points a round, with a 3 point bonus available for the bonus question, which will relate to the other questions (one of them, maybe more) in some way.

1) Who directed the music video for Thriller by Michael Jackson? (1 point)
2) Which band recorded the song 'Eye of the Tiger'? (1 point)
3) What's the longest time a song has been UK number one? (in weeks, 3 weeks either side will still get you the point) (1 point)
4) Who wrote 'The Four Seasons'? (1 point)
5) What was the title of The Beatles first christmas number one UK hit? (1 point)
6) Which band did Brian Connolly front? (1 point)
7) The album 'Folie A Deux' was by which band? (1 point)
8) Who originally wrote the pop song 'Bleeding Love' released by Leona Lewis? (1 point)
9) Name three of Bob Geldof's daughters? (1 point)
10) How many symphonies did Beethoven write? (1 point)

Bonus Question: Name the Adam Sandler film which features an instrumental version of Tom Sawyer? (3 points)

Round 2 will be geography!

Remember, there's no prize, so why cheat? This is just meant to be for fun!
So how does this work since everyone can see my answers?
4.vivaldi
7.fob
10.3hundred something?

Biddykins
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
So how does this work since everyone can see my answers?
4.vivaldi
7.fob
10.3hundred something?
We just post. First person to get the correct answer to each question gets the point.

You got the first 2 :D

10 was incorrect.

Biddykins
11-14-2010, 04:13 AM
....anyone?

Dragoon
11-14-2010, 02:02 PM
....anyone?

The only one I know off the top of my head is the Vivaldi question, which has already been answered. Maybe set time limit on that set of questions and then post a new set when it expires?

EM2915
11-14-2010, 02:13 PM
come up with questions that people might actually know the answer to.

3) What's the longest time a song has been UK number one? - no one but someone who would live in the UK would know this.

5) What was the title of The Beatles first christmas number one UK hit? - no one but someone who would live in the UK would know this.

6) Which band did Brian Connolly front? - who?

8) Who originally wrote the pop song 'Bleeding Love' released by Leona Lewis? - never even heard of that song or the person yet alone who wrote it.

9) Name three of Bob Geldof's daughters? - who is Bob Geldof?

Biddykins
11-14-2010, 04:12 PM
come up with questions that people might actually know the answer to.

3) What's the longest time a song has been UK number one? - no one but someone who would live in the UK would know this.

5) What was the title of The Beatles first christmas number one UK hit? - no one but someone who would live in the UK would know this.

6) Which band did Brian Connolly front? - who?

8) Who originally wrote the pop song 'Bleeding Love' released by Leona Lewis? - never even heard of that song or the person yet alone who wrote it.

9) Name three of Bob Geldof's daughters? - who is Bob Geldof?
You've obviously never done a pub quiz, they're generally quite obscure questions. If they were easy what would the challenge be?

And if you've never heard of Bob Geldof, oh my.

Jakub
11-14-2010, 11:22 PM
You've obviously never done a pub quiz, they're generally quite obscure questions. If they were easy what would the challenge be?

And if you've never heard of Bob Geldof, oh my.
checked google, and apparently it's pink from pink floyd's the wall movie. sweet

Biddykins
11-16-2010, 05:35 AM
checked google, and apparently it's pink from pink floyd's the wall movie. sweet
Lead singer of a somewhat famous band ( :rolleyes: ) and general 'save the world' douchebag.

I'll do a new round tonight and try to make the questions easier! (And answers will be provided for this quiz of course)

Biddykins
11-17-2010, 03:18 AM
1) Who directed the music video for Thriller by Michael Jackson? (1 point) John Landis
2) Which band recorded the song 'Eye of the Tiger'? (1 point) Survivor
3) What's the longest time a song has been UK number one? (in weeks, 3 weeks either side will still get you the point) (1 point) Bryan Adams - Everything I Do (16 weeks)
4) Who wrote 'The Four Seasons'? (1 point) Vivaldi (Answered by Jakub)
5) What was the title of The Beatles first christmas number one UK hit? (1 point) I Want To Hold Your Hand
6) Which band did Brian Connolly front? (1 point) Sweet
7) The album 'Folie A Deux' was by which band? (1 point) Fall Out Boy (Answered by Jakub)
8) Who originally wrote the pop song 'Bleeding Love' released by Leona Lewis? (1 point) Jesse McCartney
9) Name three of Bob Geldof's daughters? (1 point) Peaches, Pixie, Tiger Lily, and Fifi Trixiebelle
10) How many symphonies did Beethoven write? (1 point) 9

Bonus Question: Name the Adam Sandler film which features an instrumental version of Tom Sawyer? (3 points) The Waterboy

Round 2: Geography (6 points available):
1) The tallest building in the world is located where? (1 point) Dubai - Answered by Dragoon
2) What's the least densely populated country in the world? (Clue: It's in North America!) (1 point) Greenland - Answered by Kate
3) If you were to walk one mile south, one mile east, and one mile north, and end up where you began, where was your starting point? (2 points) North Pole - Answered by Dragoon
4) Name this flag (1 point):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/Flag_of_Brazil.svg/125px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil - Answered by EM2915
5) Which is the largest European country by land mass? (1 point) Ukraine - Answered by Kate

Bonus Question (3 points!): Name 3 states which border Texas? Louisiana, New Mexico, Arkansas - Answered by Kate

Current Standings:
Kate - 5 Points
Dragoon - 3 Points
Jakub - 2 Points
EM2915 - 1 Point

Dragoon
11-17-2010, 10:16 AM
1. Dubai? I haven't kept up on that, but it seems like they'd have that now. Probably made of solid gold and rubies.
2. Canada. The US is also pretty sparsely populated, but I'm going to go with Canada.
3. The North Pole.

EM2915
11-17-2010, 10:35 AM
2. Mexico
4. Brazil

Biddykins
11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Glad to see easier questions getting a little more response.

You guys were both incorrect on question 2.

EM2915
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Can we reattempt questions we got wrong?

If so:

2. USA

Biddykins
11-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Can we reattempt questions we got wrong?

If so:

2. USA
You can, but you're still incorrect :)

Dragoon
11-17-2010, 06:50 PM
You can, but you're still incorrect :)

Some tiny island nation, then? No idea without looking it up or guessing wildly. I'm terrible at geography.

Kate
11-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Greenland, isn't it?

edit: for the bonus- Louisianan, Arkansas and New Mexico? I think?

edit II - for #5, Russia? I feel like this is too easy so this one might be wrong.

Dragoon
11-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Greenland, isn't it?

edit II - for #5, Russia? I feel like this is too easy so this one might be wrong.

Greenland is correct, I think.

Biddykins
11-18-2010, 02:37 AM
Greenland, isn't it?

Good job on the bonus, and Greenland.

Russia, not so much. Russia is partly in Europe, and would be the largest, except the majority of it is considered to be in Asia, and therefore it doesn't count.

Kate
11-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Good job on the bonus, and Greenland.

Russia, not so much. Russia is partly in Europe, and would be the largest, except the majority of it is considered to be in Asia, and therefore it doesn't count.
I thought there had to be a trick there - I'm going to guess Ukraine then.

Biddykins
11-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I thought there had to be a trick there - I'm going to guess Ukraine then.
Winner.

New round will be posted in approximately 4 hours.

Biddykins
11-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Round 4: TV / Film (10 points available)
1) The first 'Die Hard' sequel had which subtitle? (1 Point)
2) Robert De Niro starred as Sam 'Ace' Rothstein in which 1995 film? (1 Point)
3) In the Home Alone films, who played Harry, the criminal partner of Marv? (1 Point) Joe Pesci - Answered by Kate
4) What was the name of the sports anchor in Anchorman? (1 Point)
5) The live action TV series of Mortal Kombat was called what? (1 Point)
6) Which TV town had a population of 51,201? (1 Point)
7) In The Simpsons, what was Barts fake name he used to get a credit card? (1 Point)
8) What's the longest running weekly episodic show? (1 Point)
9) Who was the first actor to play James Bond in a film? (1 Point)
10) Which TV character had a cousin called Angelica, a brother called Dill, and a dog called Spike? (1 Point) Tommy Pickles - Answered by EM2915

Bonus Question: Who played Batman and Robin in the 1960s Batman incarnation? (2 points)

EM2915
11-18-2010, 05:51 PM
10. Tommy Pickles - Rugrats

Kate
11-18-2010, 06:15 PM
3 - Hugh Laurie?

Biddykins
11-18-2010, 06:31 PM
10 - yes
3 - nope

I'll tally up the points at the end of each round from now on, it's a bit of a hassle updating them as I go, and I may end up accidentally giving someone extra or not enough points.

Kate
11-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Damnit I was thinking of 101 Dalmations - Joe Pesci!

Dragoon
11-18-2010, 09:24 PM
8 is... Dr. Who?