Nexodyne Forums

Nexodyne Forums (/index.php)
-   Technology (/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Domain Registration Prices Going Up (/showthread.php?t=21543)

Lucas 06-02-2010 01:50 AM

Domain Registration Prices Going Up

For those that own domains, I got an email from GoDaddy a few weeks ago saying prices are going up by 10% for .com and .net starting July 1st. Not sure what the reason is, technically the cost of a domain is close to 0. Any ideas?

Liam 06-02-2010 02:51 AM

GoDaddy wants to make more money? Not to mention I imagine GoDaddy holds most of the non-computer savvy consumer base due to its easy to relate to everybody-loves-boobs ads, so they probably have a pretty easy crowd to raise prices for. Or are you saying all domains are going up in price. I know ass all about domains. What even allows GoDaddy to make a domain and disallows a common user to make their own domain?

aaaaa 06-02-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
GoDaddy wants to make more money? Not to mention I imagine GoDaddy holds most of the non-computer savvy consumer base due to its easy to relate to everybody-loves-boobs ads, so they probably have a pretty easy crowd to raise prices for. Or are you saying all domains are going up in price. I know ass all about domains. What even allows GoDaddy to make a domain and disallows a common user to make their own domain?

I believe you have to be a certified domain registrar to register domains. To be come that, I believe you have to signup with ICANN.

I actually have no idea the steps involved, but I do believe it has something to do with that.

Also, I haven't heard anything about the price of domains going up, so it may just be GoDaddy.

CO3 06-02-2010 01:06 PM

http://www.pixelrage.net/domain-nam...up-in-july-2010

Looks like it's stemming from Verisign and they're passing the costs onto us.

Quote:
"The change was brought about by Verisign; so, expect all registrars to up their prices."

The article says it best.

Quote:
"The announcement came to me from a GoDaddy email blast. The extra .50 – .80 cents or so won’t make a difference to those who own a handful of domain names, but if you’re like me and own hundreds (or thousands), boy is this going to be painful."

Personally it's not a huge deal for me but for some of us here it might be a pain in the ass. Luckily the page comes with a bit of advice that may apply to you, but you probably already knew to do it anyway.

Quote:
"What can you do right now? If you haven’t already done so, renew all of your domains immediately to take advantage of renewals while they’re still at their current prices. Come July 1, 2010, you’ll be paying higher fees, like it or not."

Iridium 06-03-2010 01:26 AM

I love that last bit, nice way to "encourage" customers to renew early.

balaji 06-07-2010 06:20 AM

You can register your domain name here http://www.tucktail.com/ It provides hosting,domain name register, domain appraisal, online file folder, ssl certificate etc...