Nexodyne Forums

Nexodyne Forums (/index.php)
-   Military and Weapons (/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Ask a Dude in Afghanistan Anything (/showthread.php?t=21569)

Gearbox 06-29-2010 03:29 AM

Ask a Dude in Afghanistan Anything
 
Yep.

Pandu 06-29-2010 03:08 PM

Are you in northern Afghanistan? (only asking cause I know other people out there, would be funny if you guys were in the same place :P )

Gearbox 06-29-2010 03:27 PM

I'm in the southern area

rhinoceros 06-29-2010 08:58 PM

is it cool

Gearbox 06-30-2010 01:30 AM

a. No, it gets pretty damn hot. It was like 110F+ about three days ago; my boots damn near caught on fire just from walking. It cools down around November though.

b. You've probably seen the news where the military is shooting at stuff and looking cool. What they don't show you are the safety briefs that you have to attend and the endless amount of regulations that you have to follow. When's the last time you saw a military guy on TV doing paperwork?

breakfast 06-30-2010 03:35 AM

i work with a lady whose husband just got back

two of the guys in his squad/group/whatever were killed by ied's


he doesn't even seem happy to be alive or anything... what a fuckhead

Gearbox 06-30-2010 04:52 AM

While I'm not knee-deep into the shizzits we do receive reports of some pretty bad injuries.

Sorry to hear about your lady's husband's squadmates.

breakfast 06-30-2010 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbox
While I'm not knee-deep into the shizzits we do receive reports of some pretty bad injuries.

Sorry to hear about your lady's husband's squadmates.

yeah i just reread that post and it made him seem ungrateful

but i'm pretty sure i'd be a little quiet after i got back from a tour

Ceci 02-23-2011 02:20 AM

1. why did you sign up.

2. have you watched any war films before you signed up and if so what did you think about them. in particular have you seen thin red line.

3. what do you think is really going on.

4. are your comrades unified in their beliefs/motivation.

5. do you get along with your superiors or do you disagree with them at times.

Gearbox 02-23-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci
1. why did you sign up.

2. have you watched any war films before you signed up and if so what did you think about them. in particular have you seen thin red line.

3. what do you think is really going on.

4. are your comrades unified in their beliefs/motivation.

5. do you get along with your superiors or do you disagree with them at times.

1. I have no idea.

2. I have not seen Thin Red Line. I have seen The Marine, and my god that was the greatest documentary that I have ever seen in my entire life. Jokes aside, I have watched Band of Brothers, and that was amazing.

3. I don't know; I'm not there anymore. I'm honestly more concerned about the revolutions going around everywhere else.

4. They've shifted their focus to the revolutions as well.

5. Do you ever agree with your boss all the time? Me neither.

Ceci 02-23-2011 02:27 PM

1. what are you up to now?

2. what were the afghani's general feelings towards the army? how mixed were these feelings.

3. did you converse with any afghani's on a personal level?

4. did you doubt your choice to sign up at any point? do you think being in the forces is a temporary part of your life or has it become your dedicated career?


sorry for lots of questions. if you dont want to answer them thats fine. i've never communicated with someone in the forces so i'm sorry if they seem dumb questions but i'm intrigued to hear from your personal experiences. it's one thing to hear from the press and another to hear from someone you (vaguely) know

Gearbox 02-23-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceci
1. what are you up to now?

2. what were the afghani's general feelings towards the army? how mixed were these feelings.

3. did you converse with any afghani's on a personal level?

4. did you doubt your choice to sign up at any point? do you think being in the forces is a temporary part of your life or has it become your dedicated career?


sorry for lots of questions. if you dont want to answer them thats fine. i've never communicated with someone in the forces so i'm sorry if they seem dumb questions but i'm intrigued to hear from your personal experiences. it's one thing to hear from the press and another to hear from someone you (vaguely) know

1. I'm doing more training in California.

2. Afghan generals are trying to regain a sense of control in trying to provide security for their people. As part of the war on terrorism at least in Afghanistan, we're assisting them in training more military personnel so they can provide security themselves. It takes time, though.

3. No; never had to.

4. The military offers a unique experience that I don't think you'll find anywhere else. You'll go places, you'll probably meet some great people, you'll definitely meet some dumb people, but overall you're in for a ride.

I leave around June.

Christouffer 02-25-2011 12:53 PM

What kind of internet do you guys get out there and how often do you have access to it?

Are you allowed a computer of your own? Does the computer you use allow to install applications on it?

How often are you "at work" and how often are you doing whatever you want to do (minus the fact that you're in Afghanistan and can't leave).

Gearbox 02-25-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christouffer
What kind of internet do you guys get out there and how often do you have access to it?

Are you allowed a computer of your own? Does the computer you use allow to install applications on it?

How often are you "at work" and how often are you doing whatever you want to do (minus the fact that you're in Afghanistan and can't leave).

Everything within our jurisdiction wee connected by our crew and me. Satellites were used to connect to more remote areas (i.e. the rest of the world). Speeds were a bit slower than DSL. Access was available unless it is "river city" (a restricted communications status where e-mail/phones can go in but not out).

We had a few computers that we use almost exclusively. Originally most users could install whatever they wanted (iTunes, even?) but we had to implement new security methods which restricted them to certain approved programs. Other programs may be installed on a case-by-case basis. If the computer is not connected to the network then we can do whatever we want.

We tried to stick with a 12 hour schedule but due to operational requirements we were usually "at work" for 24 hours or more at a time.

Christouffer 02-26-2011 10:10 AM

Would you guys on base during free time, or go out and explore? I would want to explore, but also I wouldn't want to get shot... Did you feel safe enough to leave base in your free time?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.