Nexodyne Forums

Nexodyne Forums (/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   The Anime Thread (/showthread.php?t=21583)

Dragoon 07-02-2010 12:07 AM

The Anime Thread
 
Someone had to make this post. Which series' would you recommend to your fellow Nexo...nexodyners? Nexodinians? Nexodites?

The first ones that come to mind for me are Last Exile, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo.

CO3 07-02-2010 06:52 AM

Nexofags work well. As for Anime? Shit, man. I can't think of many anime that I wouldn't watch after reading the (better) manga.

Gearbox 07-02-2010 08:25 AM

FLCL is my life story.

Also, Gurren Lagann is sweet.

Pandu 07-04-2010 12:49 AM

Fairy Tail

Naruto

Bleach

Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou

http://www.animedreaming.tv/

johny1 09-18-2012 05:26 AM

I mostly like to Watch 80's Anime Shows like
Tom & jerry Kids Show, Popaye the Seller man, Power puff Girls, Richie Rich Etc.
If you are also Watch 80's Anime Show ..Plz Share.

Dragoon 09-18-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny1
I mostly like to Watch 80's Anime Shows like
Tom & jerry Kids Show, Popaye the Seller man, Power puff Girls, Richie Rich Etc.
If you are also Watch 80's Anime Show ..Plz Share.


Ah yes, The Powerpuff Girls: some of the best anime to come out of Japan in the '80s. Wait...

JaceyCarter 01-14-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandu
Fairy Tail

Naruto

Bleach

Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou




Naruto and Bleach one of my favorite anime to watch.

SnoringFrog 04-03-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon
Someone had to make this post. Which series' would you recommend to your fellow Nexo...nexodyners? Nexodinians? Nexodites?

The first ones that come to mind for me are Last Exile, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo.
Haven't seen Last Exile, but I love the other three. Just watched the entirety of Bebop for the first time over my spring break, actually.

A couple people mentioned TTGL, that's another great one, though I get a bit annoyed with it during the final few episodes.

I've got a crapton more I could mention that I love as well. I'll keep the list short and just saw Basilisk, Gunslinger Girl, and Samurai 7 were some more I really enjoyed. Samurai 7 is Based on Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai, and the first half of it stays amazing close to the original (at least in terms of how the story flowed) considering they turned the bandits into giant robots. After watching both, I surprisingly didn't feel like S7 had ruined the TSS material.

Dragoon 04-03-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoringFrog
Haven't seen Last Exile, but I love the other three. Just watched the entirety of Bebop for the first time over my spring break, actually.

A couple people mentioned TTGL, that's another great one, though I get a bit annoyed with it during the final few episodes.

I've got a crapton more I could mention that I love as well. I'll keep the list short and just saw Basilisk, Gunslinger Girl, and Samurai 7 were some more I really enjoyed. Samurai 7 is Based on Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai, and the first half of it stays amazing close to the original (at least in terms of how the story flowed) considering they turned the bandits into giant robots. After watching both, I surprisingly didn't feel like S7 had ruined the TSS material.


I've been slowly watching TTGL, but it hasn't managed to grab my attention too firmly so far. I haven't seen Basilisk or Gunslinger Girl, but Samurai 7 was excellent.

Watched To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, it was was pretty good. Better than To Aru Majutsu no Index, I think, though it was quite good as well. And I don't think I mentioned Full Metal Panic in this thread before; also a fan of that. Or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which was much better than the first series (in which the writers went off on their own tangent and made up their own shitty ending before the manga had finished).

SnoringFrog 04-10-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon
I've been slowly watching TTGL, but it hasn't managed to grab my attention too firmly so far. I haven't seen Basilisk or Gunslinger Girl, but Samurai 7 was excellent.

Watched To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, it was was pretty good. Better than To Aru Majutsu no Index, I think, though it was quite good as well. And I don't think I mentioned Full Metal Panic in this thread before; also a fan of that. Or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which was much better than the first series (in which the writers went off on their own tangent and made up their own shitty ending before the manga had finished).

TTGL is an interesting one; if you don't care for the "make up random BS solutions that magically solve everything" method, you won't like the series at all, since it pretty much hinges on that. I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it, because I had several friends who had talked it up for years before I got around to it, so I was expecting to be disappointed by having my expectations too high.

Basilisk is nice for the constant action. Someone fairly important seems to die in every episode, and they manage to pack a good bit of content into just 26 episodes. Gunslinger Girl, surprisingly, is somewhat slow and has little focus on action. The second season (Il Teatrino) is a little more action-oriented, but it's still less than you'd expect from an anime about young girls who have been made into partially robotic assassins.

I've never heard of Aru Kagaku no Railgun or Better than To Aru Majutsu no Index, and never seen Full Metal Panic (although I've heard good things about it), but I love FMA. Haven't had the opportunity to watch much of either series, but I did read the entire manga, so I generally just say I've seen most of Brotherhood, since that follows the manga almost exactly. One of these days I'll go back and actually watch the entire thing though.

Dragoon 04-11-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoringFrog
TTGL is an interesting one; if you don't care for the "make up random BS solutions that magically solve everything" method, you won't like the series at all, since it pretty much hinges on that. I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it, because I had several friends who had talked it up for years before I got around to it, so I was expecting to be disappointed by having my expectations too high.


As over-the-top as that show is so far, I feel like an abundance of deus ex machina is more acceptable than it would be in a show that tried to take itself more seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoringFrog
Basilisk is nice for the constant action. Someone fairly important seems to die in every episode, and they manage to pack a good bit of content into just 26 episodes. Gunslinger Girl, surprisingly, is somewhat slow and has little focus on action. The second season (Il Teatrino) is a little more action-oriented, but it's still less than you'd expect from an anime about young girls who have been made into partially robotic assassins.


How's the plot in Gunslinger Girl? From the name, I got the impression that it's largely fan service, but the slower pace you mentioned gives me some hope that it might be better than the name might imply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoringFrog
I've never heard of Aru Kagaku no Railgun or Better than To Aru Majutsu no Index, and never seen Full Metal Panic (although I've heard good things about it), but I love FMA. Haven't had the opportunity to watch much of either series, but I did read the entire manga, so I generally just say I've seen most of Brotherhood, since that follows the manga almost exactly. One of these days I'll go back and actually watch the entire thing though.


You should check out Railgun, at least. It's pretty good. High production values, interesting setting, fairly interesting plots.

SnoringFrog 01-02-2014 12:11 AM

I'm just a tad late on this reply, eh?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon
How's the plot in Gunslinger Girl? From the name, I got the impression that it's largely fan service, but the slower pace you mentioned gives me some hope that it might be better than the name might imply.


I had the exact same impression from the name. I expected a fast-paced, high action series with annoying amounts of fan service, but I tried it out after a few recommendations. I was pleasantly surprised with what it turned out to be instead.

There's some plot focusing on whichever terrorist organization they're trying to take down, but I recall that feeling a bit episodic (the second season has a little more overarching plot in that department). The focus is more on the emotional development of the girls. To some degree they're still just normal, young girls. Obviously, this conflicts with their new role as android assassins (and that conflict led to the series being "too dark and depressing" for a friend of mine to stomach). Additionally, since all they know in life is killing to protect and please their handlers or "big brothers", some more emotional issues arise with the girls in that department.

The second season moves slightly away from the emotional bits and adds a longer conflict with a specific few terrorists, and one of the girls suffers an early defeat that produces a lot of conflict in her character for the second half of the season.

aradralami 11-12-2019 12:50 AM

Recently I've seen Vinland Saga and i think this anime has a stunning visuals, brilliant world building, fleshed out characters, gorgeous realistic action sequences with an excellent exploration of Norse mythology and medieval history. This anime has it all and is arguably the best anime of the 2019 summer.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.