Nexodyne Forums

Nexodyne Forums (/index.php)
-   Religion (/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   I don't understand people who take the bible literally (/showthread.php?t=21514)

Biddykins 05-18-2010 03:38 AM

I don't understand people who take the bible literally

Ever since I was old enough to read I've looked at the Bible as being a moral code of sorts. Stories of people who didn't really exist, doing nice things, and sometimes not so nice things, to demonstrate how to be as a person. I never once took it as 'ALL THIS SHIT HAPPENED AND I SHOULD WORSHIP THIS DUDE UP ON THE CLOUDS!'. I just don't get it. We got past the clouds, and God wasn't there, so where is he now? Anyone here a proper, literal bible follower who can maybe explain it to me?

Godkarmachine O Inary 05-18-2010 04:58 AM

I don't know, I used to be the happy bible loving Christian boy in the choir and dance group for church, but after being away from it for a while I stopped taking things so literally. The book doesn't really say, "the stories contained within are life lessons and are not to be taken literally", and your church will raise you on these stories as if they are unquestionable historical fact.

If you question the bible, you will go to hell, and all that.

Looking at the bible as a guide and life-lesson book. It's good. Outdated, but good.

CO3 05-18-2010 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godkarmachine O Inary
I don't know, I used to be the happy bible loving Christian boy in the choir and dance group for church, but after being away from it for a while I stopped taking things so literally. The book doesn't really say, "the stories contained within are life lessons and are not to be taken literally", and your church will raise you on these stories as if they are unquestionable historical fact.

If you question the bible, you will go to hell, and all that.

Looking at the bible as a guide and life-lesson book. It's good. Outdated, but good.

Yes, we should learn from the Bible.

Oh wait...

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

Godkarmachine O Inary 05-18-2010 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO3
Yes, we should learn from the Bible.

Oh wait...

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

God wants his bitches to know that he means business.

CO3 05-18-2010 05:37 AM

Quote:
God wants his bitches to know that he means business.

...but he loves you. All you have to do is never ask why and you'll be blessed! There is nothing He can't do, except anything right. For someone who knows the end game, he sure does fuck up a lot at the beginning, doesn't he?

It's ok he's perfectly content with destroying almost every life on the face of the Earth.

Lovingly.

Godkarmachine O Inary 05-18-2010 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO3
...but he loves you. All you have to do is never ask why and you'll be blessed! There is nothing He can't do, except anything right. For someone who knows the end game, he sure does fuck up a lot at the beginning, doesn't he?

It's ok he's perfectly content with destroying almost every life on the face of the Earth.

Lovingly.

So he's basically a real parent :D

CO3 05-18-2010 06:04 AM

Quote:
So he's basically a real parent :D

And not a "God".

rhinoceros 05-18-2010 10:41 PM

Following the bible literally is pretty retarded. I mean, it was written by a bunch of religious cultists who would later establish it as the "biggest" religion on earth by means of violence and manipulation. People who follow the bible literally are getting nowhere spiritually. Find your own way.

Godkarmachine O Inary 05-19-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoceros
Following the bible literally is pretty retarded. I mean, it was written by a bunch of religious cultists who would later establish it as the "biggest" religion on earth by means of violence and manipulation. People who follow the bible literally are getting nowhere spiritually. Find your own way.

How does one find their own way spiritually?

CO3 05-19-2010 02:19 AM

Quote:
How does one find their own way spiritually?

By putting spinning the spin to suit them?

Why can't we just agree that death sucks and face it like men?

EM2915 05-19-2010 02:18 PM

I've never read the bible, I've never practiced religion, don't plan on it.

EM2915 05-19-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbysaurus Sex
*rages against the bible*

*has never read the bible*

dats you irl

mang u dont kno me

rhinoceros 05-20-2010 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbysaurus Sex
It most definitely was not written by the people who used violence and manipulation to try to spread it. It is a collection of books written over about a 14-1500 year span. The Christian Bible as it is today was canonized in a synod (basically a religious committee meeting) somewhere around 400ish AD.

edit: wikipedia says 393 so there you go.

Right. I'm not really arguing that they were the exact same cultists because i'm not stupid. I feel like you're bashing too deep into semantics. The old testament contains the writings/parables you're talking about, which were primarily jewish texts. The new testament was assembled along with the rest of what we call the "Christian Bible" around 400ish AD. While those who assembled the bible did not instantaneously send missionaries or wage crusades in it's name, those who followed it did.

As for "finding your own way" spiritually, i mean that no one can tell you what to believe. Because all existence can be reduced to triviality, it's impossible to know the entire truth from some asshole's empirical data. You're entitled to develop your own truths based on your analytical abilities. Following the bible is pretty much just the easy way out for most people raised christian or forced into it. To believe such a subjective text as the bible, you'd essentially be accepting someone else's truth as your own.

UnderWater 07-27-2012 04:38 AM

Bible is the word of GOD, so the ones who read and follows the Bible never fails. But unfortunately there few fake versions had been published so we have to be aware about too.

apps 12-03-2015 10:10 AM

i want to make friend with you :D