Go Back   Nexodyne Forums > Living > Technology
Reload this Page C vs C++ vs Python vs etc.
User Name
Password

Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Nexodyne Newbie

nostalgiia is on a distinguished road
C vs C++ vs Python vs etc.

hey, i've been looking into picking up some more in depth knowledge of computer languages. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what language(s) i should definately learn vs. which ones i'll most likely not need? Also pluses and minuses of said language(s), uses, etc... My knowledge about the basics of many languages is fairly limited. I know html pretty damn well (not hard at all, i know), a little java, mostly the use of injections, and i know very little ssi. I was just wondering what someone with more experience with this subject would have to say, seeing as how i don't have much to go off of.

---thanks in advance for your response
Noßalgììa

Old 08-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Contributor Pirate

Dragoon is a jewel in the roughDragoon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Dragoon
I don't have that much experience with any of those, but I think C++ is still the most versatile. Python is useful in certain situations I think, and for those situations it may be easier to use than C++, but I think it's easy enough that if you knew C++ you could pick up Python even more quickly.

Learning a second language is generally way easier than the first, because a lot of the underlying fundamentals are similar if not exactly the same, and once you get those concepts down it's just a matter of learning new syntax and semantics that language uses to do the things you're already familiar with from the other languages you know. Nonetheless, there are certainly other differences that will likely make it challenging.

Might help if you gave us some idea of what you might want to program--simple applications? Complex applications? Video games?

Still might want some input from someone who knows more on the subject. Discounting XHTML and CSS (which really don't count as programming languages--if you're using them as the metric by which you judge the potential difficulty of learning a new language, you might want to rethink) I only know PHP, which barely counts either.

Last edited by Dragoon : 08-31-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:15 PM
NVT Champion

Lucas is a glorious beacon of lightLucas is a glorious beacon of lightLucas is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to Lucas Send a message via AIM to Lucas Send a message via MSN to Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas
Start off by learning Python, it's pretty easy to pick up.