Go Back   Nexodyne Forums > Living > Technology
Reload this Page Amazon EC2
User Name
Password

Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.
Amazon EC2

Has anyone here used Amazon EC2 at all? I'm considering the possibility of moving Nexodyne to EC2 as it may be more cost effective than a full dedicated server, but would be interested to know what other people's experiences of it are before I dedicate too much time to it!

Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.
Thought I ought to write a quick update on this having tried out EC2.

I think the main drawback currently is the lack of multiple IP addresses per instance, and I think that even if they do move to allow you to have multiple addresses, it won't be sufficient as they will most likely continue to implement it as they do now with the public IP addresses translated to the single internal IP. This causes problems for SSL and segregation of sites.

There are some suggested solutions, like setting up a load balancer for each IP address and then using them to forward traffic to different ports instead of IPs, but that's not an entirely watertight solution either (not to mention the fact that it's rather expensive).

All in all, an interesting distraction for a few hours (and $0.16) but not (yet) a viable alternative to our dedicated server.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM
NVT Champion

Lucas is a glorious beacon of lightLucas is a glorious beacon of lightLucas is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to Lucas Send a message via AIM to Lucas Send a message via MSN to Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas
You should talk with Mitch - he's got quite a fair bit of experience under his belt with EC2 and other cloud-based hosting solutions.

If bandwidth is a huge issue maybe offloading static content would be a solution (and downgrading to a VPS for the rest)

Old 06-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Administrator

This would be possible, but factoring in EC2 bandwidth, and a VPS on top, even with the cheaper reserved EC2 instances, we'd about match our current expenditure on the dedicated server, so it doesn't seem really worth the effort.