Go Back   Nexodyne Forums > General > Off Topic
Reload this Page Shall we take off the newbie permissions?
User Name
Password

Old 11-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Administrator
I am Bid!  
Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.
Shall we take off the newbie permissions?

Right now I'm viewing the current activity page, and there are three users trying to create or reply to threads, getting the no permissions message. Should we remove it? Even gravedigging from newbies is activity right now, and if they reply and we help them out, they may stick around, become part of the community and whatnot. Hell, they may even reply with the solution to a problem one of us had years ago and never got an answer for.
"If he is not smart enough to invent something to improve his own quality of life how is he smart enough to tell us all there is no GOD"

Old 11-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Strong, independent woman. Also, Biceps made out of Steel Cobras

Kate has a spectacular aura aboutKate has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kate Send a message via MSN to Kate
I vote do it. As long as we can all agree to be nice to the newbies and not jump all over them like a pack of wild dogs should they spell something wrong. Lets go for polite encouragement

Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Contributor Pirate

Dragoon is a jewel in the roughDragoon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Dragoon
I suspect we'll see a jump in spam, but I'm willing to endure that for the chance for new, active members.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Contributor

EM2915 is just really niceEM2915 is just really niceEM2915 is just really nice
Green Star

quick everyone duck we are about to see 100 posts on penis enlargement pills

Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Nexodyne God

Kamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Kamil
Yeah, we can risk the spambots for a few extra members. It won't hurt.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Contributor Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil
Yeah, we can risk the spambots for a few extra members. It won't hurt.

If nothing else, it might give the admins another reason to stop by more often: spam shoveling.

Edit: On a side note, have any of you rednames considered sending out a mass e-mail to the userbase announcing this forum revival? Assuming the server could even handle that... Little over 44,000 members (less the accounts that have "receive e-mails from administrators" off).

Last edited by Dragoon : 11-05-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:57 AM
Administrator
I am Bid!  
Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon
If nothing else, it might give the admins another reason to stop by more often: spam shoveling.

Edit: On a side note, have any of you rednames considered sending out a mass e-mail to the userbase announcing this forum revival? Assuming the server could even handle that... Little over 44,000 members (less the accounts that have "receive e-mails from administrators" off).

I've thought of doing it, and may do so once we get a little bit of actual activity going...

Anyone know how to take off the restrictions? I've literally looked everywhere I can think and it doesn't seem to be there.
"If he is not smart enough to invent something to improve his own quality of life how is he smart enough to tell us all there is no GOD"

Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Contributor Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddykins
I've thought of doing it, and may do so once we get a little bit of actual activity going...

Anyone know how to take off the restrictions? I've literally looked everywhere I can think and it doesn't seem to be there.

Sure it wasn't hardcoded in or something by Irid or someone else? I'm not at all familiar with vB's settings.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 AM
Administrator
I am Bid!  
Quote:
Sure it wasn't hardcoded in or something by Irid or someone else? I'm not at all familiar with vB's settings.

I'm thinking it might be, cause there's no usergroup I can see with posting restrictions apart from the obvious banned groups and stuff. Hmmmm.

Irid?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Nexodyne God

Kamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Kamil
Nexodyne is like a 90-year-old on life-support with a serious death wish. We've tried to revive this place numerous times, but the fact is that we've lost our purpose and gone separate ways. I highly doubt another revival scheme or an email will really help this place out. Our neopet programs lured in new members, as they saw it as an aide to becoming neo-millionaires. I'm not trying to sound like a pessimist, but that seems to be the fact of the matter.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Contributor Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil
Nexodyne is like a 90-year-old on life-support with a serious death wish. We've tried to revive this place numerous times, but the fact is that we've lost our purpose and gone separate ways. I highly doubt another revival scheme or an email will really help this place out. Our neopet programs lured in new members, as they saw it as an aide to becoming neo-millionaires. I'm not trying to sound like a pessimist, but that seems to be the fact of the matter.

I think this attempt is doing better. No massive burst of activity, but still relatively consistent, albeit low, level of activity.

I do agree that we need a new hook, though. All of the activity we have now is coming from old members; I don't I've seen a post from a new (human) member in months.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 AM
Administrator
I am Bid!  
Quote:
I think this attempt is doing better. No massive burst of activity, but still relatively consistent, albeit low, level of activity.

I do agree that we need a new hook, though. All of the activity we have now is coming from old members; I don't I've seen a post from a new (human) member in months.

Which is where this idea comes in. Members are coming, registering, then trying to reply to an old-ass thread, finding they can't, and leaving again. If they could reply to anything they wanted we'd get a lot more activity.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:35 AM
Contributor Pirate

Quote:
Which is where this idea comes in. Members are coming, registering, then trying to reply to an old-ass thread, finding they can't, and leaving again. If they could reply to anything they wanted we'd get a lot more activity.

I think I have a copy of vB somewhere, I'll install it on my local server tomorrow and see if I can hunt down any related settings.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Nexodyne Newbie

TheAsker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Right now I'm viewing the current activity page, and there are three users trying to create or reply to threads, getting the no permissions message. Should we remove it? Even gravedigging from newbies is activity right now, and if they reply and we help them out, they may stick around, become part of the community and whatnot. Hell, they may even reply with the solution to a problem one of us had years ago and never got an answer for.

Yes, removing the newbie stuff would be nice

Old 03-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Contributor

Jakub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsker
Yes, removing the newbie stuff would be nice

Hello! What brings you to this long forgotten dark corner of the internet?