Go Back   Nexodyne Forums > General > Off Topic
Reload this Page What is everyone up to these days? (in life)
User Name
Password

Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Retired

Mitch has a spectacular aura aboutMitch has a spectacular aura about
What is everyone up to these days? (in life)

Joined these forums when I was 11. Now I'm 23. Life is crazy. My old username used to be "mugboy" if you don't remember.

I still remember a lot of names here that have posted in the past year, randomly. What are you up to these days, professionally?

EDIT: Realized I should probably answer my own question for you.

* Live in San Francisco now
* Graduated with a degree in computer science from University of Washington
* Made an open source project that is used at quite a few companies and growing fast (vagrantup.com)
* Started a company behind that project a month ago
* Started a small company in college and sold it (quite a bit of money but not millions)
* Writing a book for O'Reilly (on Vagrant)
* Speaker at various conferences (OSCON, VelocityConf, RubyConf, FOSDEM, etc etc).
* Friends with Lucas (a member of this forum I met back when I was 12) now in real life, he introduced me to the person who gave me my first job in SF.

Funny that all this began with toying with pet sites.

Last edited by Mitch : 12-24-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Contributor Pirate

Dragoon is a jewel in the roughDragoon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Dragoon
Working on a B.S. in Computer Science. Just finished up with a semester, so I'm planning to start applying for REUs for next summer (last summer before I graduate).

Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Retired

Elite has a spectacular aura aboutElite has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Elite Send a message via Yahoo to Elite
Grabbed a Honors Bachelors in Science and in 3rd year of Med School

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Contributor

Eniisa is on a distinguished road
Finished up my BA last year and after this year, I'll be a registered nurse

Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.
Damn we're getting old, I'm turning 30 this month...

As for what I'm doing now:
  • Graduated ages ago with a degree in Mathematics and Computer Science
  • I'm married, and living in London
  • I've worked in the financial sector for just over 5 years
  • Currently work at an investment bank developing trading systems, with systems I've developed processing about US$1 billion of trades per week (which to be honest, scares me just thinking about it!)
  • When not at work, I cook, bake, occasionally help out at a local farm (http://www.mudchute.org) and help my wife cover the odd event for http://www.notcot.com!

Nice to see there are still a few people dropping by occasionally to say hello!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Retired

000GHOST000 has a spectacular aura about000GHOST000 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to 000GHOST000 Send a message via AIM to 000GHOST000 Send a message via MSN to 000GHOST000 Send a message via Yahoo to 000GHOST000
Wow, didn't realize you were behind vagrant Mitch. Congrats! we use it a lot at our company and it's a huge achievement!

Also, thanks to Iridium, you've helped me a lot in becoming a better programmer back in the day! Hope you're enjoying your work in the financial sector!

As for me, working in a startup-like environment on the east coast. Specifically enjoy working on high concurrency stuff involving scaling and handling over a billion requests per day.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Contributor

btsx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch
* Graduated with a degree in computer science from University of Washington

Strange, I also attended UW for computer science. We may have been in some of the same classes together (I started there Fall 07).
I actually am a software engineer at UW now.

Last edited by btsx : 01-04-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Contributor of Idiocy

Rick is a splendid one to beholdRick is a splendid one to beholdRick is a splendid one to beholdRick is a splendid one to behold
Dong

Well shit, everyone seems like they were pretty successful.

My life:
  • 23 years old now
  • Dropped out of university at 17, started working construction / welding
  • Got way into drug dealing, did that as my full time job and made a bit of money
  • Joined the Marines to clean up my life and 'go legit', went infantry. Finished up my active service, got out a little bit ago, and I want to go back now.
  • After getting out got very involved in credit card fraud, never got caught.
  • Stupidly got involved again with old contacts in the trafficking business last year or so, and got caught. Was charged with 5 felonies, and was able to plea guilty to only one felony count of sales, didn't do any time and am currently on felony probation for the next 3 years. Once I got caught trafficking, I stopped the credit card fraud stuff.
  • Started shooting up heroin for 3 months or so, got clean on my own.
  • Working as a CNC machinist. Decent pay, could be better.
  • I live in Oakland, CA right now but moving to San Francisco at the end of this month.

My life has definitely had it's ups and downs, and I've made some bad choices but I can honestly say I'm doing just fine. Been clean, and keeping out of trouble.
(7:32:05 PM) Crescent0mega: brb smoking this 4 year old cock

Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Contributor

breakfast is a jewel in the roughbreakfast is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium
Damn we're getting old, I'm turning 30 this month...

As for what I'm doing now:
  • Graduated ages ago with a degree in Mathematics and Computer Science
  • I'm married, and living in London
  • I've worked in the financial sector for just over 5 years
  • Currently work at an investment bank developing trading systems, with systems I've developed processing about US$1 billion of trades per week (which to be honest, scares me just thinking about it!)
  • When not at work, I cook, bake, occasionally help out at a local farm (http://www.mudchute.org) and help my wife cover the odd event for http://www.notcot.com!

Nice to see there are still a few people dropping by occasionally to say hello!

That's how the bills are getting paid...

I've got a year left on my B.Sc Mechanical Engineering. I've done about a year's internship with an oil and gas company doing upstream and just started another 8 month internship at a different oil and gas company doing PM.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Teh Bonz

Bonzi is a splendid one to beholdBonzi is a splendid one to beholdBonzi is a splendid one to beholdBonzi is a splendid one to beholdBonzi is a splendid one to behold
Brooklyn Here:

Just turned 26:

Stopped going to college and got into e-commerce around 8 years ago
Landed a great job working for a e-commerce marketing firm in NY
Just purchased my first piece of property
Starting my own company once I save up a little more
Life is good

Good to see people realizing their potential

Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Contributor

Eniisa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick

• Got way into drug dealing, did that as my full time job and made a bit of money

Is it anything like how it's shown on Breaking Bad?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Retired

Mitch has a spectacular aura aboutMitch has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000GHOST000
Wow, didn't realize you were behind vagrant Mitch. Congrats! we use it a lot at our company and it's a huge achievement!

Also, thanks to Iridium, you've helped me a lot in becoming a better programmer back in the day! Hope you're enjoying your work in the financial sector!

As for me, working in a startup-like environment on the east coast. Specifically enjoy working on high concurrency stuff involving scaling and handling over a billion requests per day.

Hah! Small world! Cool I always wondered what you had ended up doing. I still remember you teaching me how to use "substr" in VB to get the content between two HTML tags. Sillyl kids, we've come a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsx
Strange, I also attended UW for computer science. We may have been in some of the same classes together (I started there Fall 07).
I actually am a software engineer at UW now.

I started there fall of 07 as well, which means we almost certainly were in some of the same classes together. Do you know any of the following names (some are first, some are last, whichever is more recognizable I think, but I don't want to post their full names): Reusch, Meager, Armon, Lipay, Jehad, Anirudh? I'm friends with them all from UW and they all live here in SF now and work at various companies (startups, Twitter, VMWare, etc.)

Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Nexodyne God

Kamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Kamil
Hey y'all.

I turned 23 a month ago and I feel incredibly old. The past year or two passed by like it was nothing. For some reason, I still feel like I'm 20-21. It's probably because I'm still in a college environment, and that there's no benefit to being any older than 21. I joined neohacks some 11 years ago, in an attempt to become a neopoint millionaire. Hell, I actually succeeded at one point.

B.A. and M.A. in philosophy. I'm currently in my first year of law school. I'm studying a lot, partying a lot, and working out. That pretty much sums up my life right now. I've had a wide range of good and bad experiences in the past few years. I'm trying to get as many life experiences down before it's time to step out into the 'real' world.

It's good to see that people still check nexodyne every now and then.

-KP

Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Administrator
I am Bid!  
Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.
Got a degree, riddled with debt, got a job and slowly (very slowly) but surely paying it all off. Win? Not quite? Happy? Meh. Getting there.
"If he is not smart enough to invent something to improve his own quality of life how is he smart enough to tell us all there is no GOD"

Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Strong, independent woman. Also, Biceps made out of Steel Cobras

Kate has a spectacular aura aboutKate has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kate Send a message via MSN to Kate
I can't believe I just thought to come here and see if anyone ever brought this place back to life. Not going to lie, a part of me really hoped someone had.
I couldn't even tell you how long ago I first signed up here. I just know it wasn't yesterday and Liam talked me into it. Lots of ups and downs since, to say the least.

I'm on hiatus from my BA right now, thinking I may just scrap it and go get my PR degree that I wanted from the start. Living on my own in the city with some great friends. Making some questionable decisions, but what else is new. I'll be 24 next month.

Glad to see you've all been successful and seem happy.

It's been said a dozen times but I'd love to see someone pull some kind of a reunion together.