User Name
Password

Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 AM
Biceps made out of Steel Cobras

Dawgy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dawgy Send a message via MSN to Dawgy
Graduate School / Advice

Hey all.

Looking to graduate from WVU here in a few months and I'm in a bit of a situation. Right now I'm in the process of applying to the University of Pittsburgh for their information sciences school, focus on infosec.

I'm somewhat afraid because I'm riding on being accepted to this school. There's not really any worry about my grades since I'm sitting at around a 3.7 GPA and have a pretty good undergrad major (MIS). I'd hate to wait on my application to get declined and then be stuck jobless and not in school.

Is it worthwhile to maybe apply for some jobs just in case for some freak reason I manage to not get in? I guess it's hitting me I'm graduating soon and I'm starting to freak just a bit.

Help plox.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Contributor Pirate

Dragoon is a jewel in the roughDragoon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Dragoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgy
Hey all.

Looking to graduate from WVU here in a few months and I'm in a bit of a situation. Right now I'm in the process of applying to the University of Pittsburgh for their information sciences school, focus on infosec.

I'm somewhat afraid because I'm riding on being accepted to this school. There's not really any worry about my grades since I'm sitting at around a 3.7 GPA and have a pretty good undergrad major (MIS). I'd hate to wait on my application to get declined and then be stuck jobless and not in school.

Is it worthwhile to maybe apply for some jobs just in case for some freak reason I manage to not get in? I guess it's hitting me I'm graduating soon and I'm starting to freak just a bit.

Help plox.

I don't see how it could hurt, just as a fallback option. At worst, at least as far as I can think, you get a job offer and have to turn it down when you get the good news from U of P.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:34 AM
Biceps made out of Steel Cobras

Dawgy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dawgy Send a message via MSN to Dawgy
See the thing is, I'm pretty damn tired of school as it is. I fear I'm going to get burnt out, but my mom is paying and I'll end up having -zero- college debt if I take this route.

But what happens if I just am like "feh" midway through? So tired of school.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Contributor

breakfast is a jewel in the roughbreakfast is a jewel in the rough
Personally, the only graduate degree that __I__ would go for would be an MBA. That being said, I'm taking Mechanical Engineering so I graduate with a professional degree and I see no merit in going any further educationally unless I either a) wish to teach or b) want to have an easier time getting into management (with an MBA).

However, more school on paper usually looks better and if you feel like it will advance you, go for it... but you probably know that already. Do you see yourself using it to get a better job or to open up Ph.D/instruction opportunities? Maybe think about that before you jump into it if you haven't already.

With regards to the find a job/don't find a job dilemma... again __I__ personally would probably want the security of having a job but being the employer who would be hiring and investing the resources into hiring you/training you only to find that a week or two into the job (if that!) you're leaving would leave me less than impressed.

Don't burn your bridges!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Contributor

EM2915 is just really niceEM2915 is just really niceEM2915 is just really nice
Green Star

EAT SHIT PITT CMON DAWGY

had to come back to say this.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Nexodyne God

Kamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Kamil
Dude, if you're worried about burning out, you have 4 months in the summer to do jack shit. Apply for grad school if you haven't already, and look for jobs in the meantime. It's never a bad idea to have backups.

For the brag: I got accepted to a masters program with a nice sum of money the other day, and got accepted to law school at the University of Alberta

Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil
Dude, if you're worried about burning out, you have 4 months in the summer to do jack shit. Apply for grad school if you haven't already, and look for jobs in the meantime. It's never a bad idea to have backups.

For the brag: I got accepted to a masters program with a nice sum of money the other day, and got accepted to law school at the University of Alberta

Let me know if you end up attending U of A, that's where I go. A brother of a friend of mine just got accepted into law here as well. Congrats.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Nexodyne God

Kamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to allKamil is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Kamil
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfast
Let me know if you end up attending U of A, that's where I go. A brother of a friend of mine just got accepted into law here as well. Congrats.

Hey breakfast, what was your username before the name change? I really haven't been here in a while so I'm not sure who you used to be haha.

I'm from Ontario, so I would prefer to stay here for law school. I think I still have a decent shot at Queen's. I think UofA would be an awesome experience and the Albertan job market is great.

What do you think of UofA and Edmonton?

Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Contributor

I was Ridicule. I'm also emptying my inbox in case you want to PM me.

I'm definitely a fan.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.
So Dawgy what are you going to do? You should come to NC State University I'm there as a grad student now.

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers."
Carl Sagan

Old 02-25-2011, 05:25 PM
is puchipuchi

Ceci is a name known to allCeci is a name known to allCeci is a name known to allCeci is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ceci Send a message via MSN to Ceci
obviously i dont have a clue when it comes to this stuff over your side of the pond. but is taking a year out an option? i went to uni for a year but failed because of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgy
I'm pretty damn tired of school as it is. I fear I'm going to get burnt out,

the course was everything i wanted to do but i was so fucking bored of being in education that i just lost the will to bother with the work. my parents pretty much blackmailed me into applying because they thought if i dont do it now, i never will, when i knew all along that i needed a little break then would be 100% good to go.

like i said i dont know how it works for you guys, but whats the harm in taking a year out? you say your mom is paying for you; cant she hold on and pay when youre certain in your heart so that it doesnt go to waste? i'm £4000 in debt for what, nothing.