Go Back   Nexodyne Forums > Academics > General
Reload this Page How much math do you know?
User Name
Password

Old 07-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Contributor Pirate

Dragoon is a jewel in the roughDragoon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Dragoon
How much math do you know?

I just started college (again) about a month ago, working towards a Comp Sci degree. Because of the shitty effort I put in through High School, I've got to start pretty low on the math (elementary algebra) and work my way up to the prereqs (stats, linear algebra, calc 1, 2, 3).

I was curious, how have the rest of you done with with math?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Contributor

breakfast is a jewel in the roughbreakfast is a jewel in the rough
I took Calc I & II as well as Linear Algebra I this year along with a handful of physics courses.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.Iridium is a God.
I have a degree in it.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Biceps made out of Steel Cobras

Liam is a jewel in the roughLiam is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Liam
I took advanced Calculus in High School, all that math you listed is extreme easy if you just pay attention. I was getting 50's until I decided to move to the front of the class and away from my friends in that 1 class, and immediately on my next test (mid terms actually) I got an 83%, and then after that test I never made less than 90% except for one failed test. Even scored 100% a few times.

If you read this sentence you are gay.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Contributor Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
I took advanced Calculus in High School, all that math you listed is extreme easy if you just pay attention. I was getting 50's until I decided to move to the front of the class and away from my friends in that 1 class, and immediately on my next test (mid terms actually) I got an 83%, and then after that test I never made less than 90% except for one failed test. Even scored 100% a few times.

Yeah, I'm not expecting I'll have a major problem with them now. When I did actually pay attention in high school, I always get excellent grades in math. I just didn't do that very often.

About half way through the algebra class, and I have yet to get less than 100% on anything.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Wordy Wordy Wordpants!

CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium
I have a degree in it.

You are a mystery to me. We should have a list of things you know.

@Dragoon: Your basic college level Algebra, and some High School Geometry.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Nexodyne Newbie

asma is on a distinguished road
it is a new one!!!!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.Christouffer is a God.
I have a minor in mathematics.

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers."
Carl Sagan

Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Administrator
I am Bid!  
Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.Biddykins is a God.
I'm pretty shitty at it. I was great at it at school, but never took it at any further level, so I only have up to a 16 year olds level of knowledge of it. It amazes me how terrible some peoples maths is though, like not being able to do basic sums and things without a calculator.
"If he is not smart enough to invent something to improve his own quality of life how is he smart enough to tell us all there is no GOD"

Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 AM
Wordy Wordy Wordpants!

CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.CO3 is a God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddykins
I'm pretty shitty at it. I was great at it at school, but never took it at any further level, so I only have up to a 16 year olds level of knowledge of it. It amazes me how terrible some peoples maths is though, like not being able to do basic sums and things without a calculator.

Try living in The South, USA. Our students are so bad at Math here, high schools have been passing them for effort. I don't think that's legal, but I've seen it. Our college has to teach a Math 0096 and 0098 class to MANY people. I scored just under the bar in Math for college so I had to take Math 0098 which is essentially Algebra I at a slower pace. I've seen the Math 0096 classes and they're jammed to the door with students. They're learning things like adding and subtracting decimals. At least 0098 started with polynomials and quadratic equations.

Don't even get me started on our English scores...

Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfast
I took Calc I & II as well as Linear Algebra I this year along with a handful of physics courses.

enrolled in calculus III and differential equations this fall semester....

Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Nexodyne Newbie

algirpranteza15 is on a distinguished road
I was great at it at school, but never took it at any further level, so I only have up to a 16 year olds level of knowledge of it. It amazes me how terrible some peoples maths is though.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Contributor

Quote:
enrolled in calculus III and differential equations this fall semester....

finished math forever this past semester with advanced boundary problems.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Contributor Pirate

Quote:
finished math forever this past semester with advanced boundary problems.

Finished with Calculus I last semester, the last of the math classes I need for my degree. For some reason they cut almost all of the math requirements from the computer science program at my university. Out of Calc I, II, and III, Linear Algebra, Stats, and two physics courses, only Calc I and Stats were still required after they restructured it. I'll probably need to brush up on some of that on my own time. Linear algebra in particular is pretty relevant to game programming.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Biceps made out of Steel Cobras

HYPERION is on a distinguished road
I'm done with calc 1,2,3;trigonometry;geometry and mathematical analysis or w/e you call it.
And for physics I'm pretty much done with the introduction in quantum physics.